Thursday 20 October 2011

Queen-Bicycle Race/Fat Bottomed Girls



WHO: Queen
WHAT: Bicycle Race/Fat Bottomed Girls
WHEN: 1978
LABEL: EMI 2870   

Ok, this isn’t a popular position, but I like Queen. They shift in and out of fashion and, as far as I can tell, they’re probably un-cool right now. For many people they are the epitome of everything that was wrong with rock music in the seventies and beyond. But sod it I like them. I like the decadent campness. I like the humor. I like the fact that they stood proudly in the face of the relentless tide of punk and stayed resolutely big hair and leotards, all painstaking production and decadent parties, still notching up the hits, while other rock dinosaurs were becoming quickly extinct. I like Queen.

As far as I can remember, they have always been part of my musical consciousness. I think my dad was a fan, not a super-fan, he didn’t dress up in a leotard or have a massive poodle perm, but he appreciated the music. On family trips when we were young we had one tape that we played more than any other. On one side was Queens “Greatest Hits (one)”, on which both these tracks feature, and on the other was The Pogues “Rum, Sodomy and the Lash” (weird combination I know, but maybe its part of the reason I’ve got such a random* taste in music). Anyway, I reckon my brothers and me could still sing both these albums word for word. It wouldn’t be pretty but it’d be possible.

THE A SIDE

“Bicycle Race” was released as a double A side with “Fat Bottomed Girls” in 1978. It’s a strange one this, but still typically Queen. A song written by Freddie Mercury about wanting to ride his bike? Why not? In it he lets us know, in no uncertain terms, that he wants to ride his bicycle, and he wants to ride it where he likes. An argument with himself ensues and then a great bicycle bell solo, probably the only one in rock and roll history. 

The video is worth mentioning, not only for Brian Mays hair (always good for a laugh) but also for its inclusion of (according to Wikipedia) 65 naked women, participating in a bicycle race around Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium (I have studied the promotional poster at great length and can only count 50, I’d better have another look). I doubt that video would get made today, probably all sorts of health and safety issues. There is also a reference to the other A side here when Freddie proclaims “Fat bottomed girls they’ll be riding today, so look out for those beauties, oh yeah”

THE A SIDE

A reciprocal mention on this track to its fellow A side near the end when Freddie suggests to the titular girls of the plump posteriors that they should “Get on your bike and ride!” but I’m getting ahead of myself. Written by guitarist Brian May (he with the head of hair), it is a love song (or maybe lust-song would be more apt) to those ladies of the fuller figure. This is one of my favorite Queen tracks with some great lyrics, expertly delivered as always by Mercury. Starting off with the harmonies that are trademark Queen followed by great electric-blues bass riff by John Deacon with a huge thumping rhythm delivered by Roger Taylor and some great guitar by t’other one, May. It chugs along in the usual way with the standard anthemic chorus that makes for a classic Queen track.

THE VINYL

It has a couple of minor scratches but it’s not in bad condition considering it came with no sleeve. A bit of a pity this, because the cover is fantastic. An iconic image of one of the globe arsed lovelies from the “Bicycle Race” video on her bike, photographed by David Finch.

MY VERDICT

Two great tracks by the band that is flamboyance personified.





*This is meant in the old sense of being haphazard and arbitrary, and not the new sense of being odd.

Top image adapted from sleeve of “Bicycle Race/Fat Bottomed Girls”.


No comments:

Post a Comment