Tuesday 27 September 2011

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River



WHO: Creedence Clearwater Revival
WHAT: Green River (Commotion)
WHEN: 1969
LABEL:  LIBERTY– LBF 15250


This was acquired at Tynemouth Market for the princely sum of £1.

I’ve always had a soft spot for a bit of CCR. I can’t remember where I first heard them, but it was probably  “bad moon rising” on “an American werewolf in London” or one of the myriad other movies they have a song on the soundtrack of. I got a greatest hits album (on CD I must admit) a few years ago and realized how great (I thought) they were.

Their sound has a very “Southern” style, invoking images of the swamps of Louisiana and the humidity of the Mississippi and New Orleans. Creedence Clearwater revival came from El Cerrito, a suburb in the San Francisco Bay Area, and despite their sound, had never even seen the Mississippi bayou when they started out. The band was made up of John Fogerty (on vocals & guitar), his brother Tom Fogerty (rhythm guitar), Stu Cook (bass), and Doug Clifford (drums).


THE A SIDE


Although not my favorite CCR song, I still think this tune is great. With the typically slurred singing style of John Fogerty, the unique jangly guitar sound of a Gibson Les Paul, and thumping drums, that makes up C.C.R’s unique sound. This song makes me feel hot and sticky (careful!), not that I’ve ever been to the bayou, But I reckon this is how It’d feel. Maybe with a bit less cold drizzle and a bit more alligator.

Green River was on the 1969 album of the same name, their third release, which also features “Bad Moon Rising”, the song that CCR are probably best known for (as featured in the movie “an American werewolf in London”). The single itself was released in 1969 on the “liberty “ label, before the album was released, and reached 19 in the UK charts (2 in America). 


THE B SIDE

The B side, or in this case side 2, is another John Fogerty composition “Commotion”. This typical CCR tune starts off with a great riff, with an almost scary apache-like war drum coming to get you courtesy of Doug Clifford on drums.

I’ve heard this type of music called “Swamp Rock”, and I think that’s right. I almost have to swat away the mosquitos as I listen, and I have a hankerin’ for some gumbo and moonshine (and I don’t even know what Gumbo is).



THE VINYL

This is poor to medium condition, covered in scratches and has no middle or sleeve. But plays fine (on my 1950’s Fergusson radiogram, in glorious mono sound).  It has the usual hiss and crackle that you’d expect from a bit of 42-year-old vinyl.


MY VERDICT

I think this was a good buy. I’ve always liked Creedence so at a pound this was a bargain. I’ve had a quick look on eBay, and to get this would cost around £2.00 so if I did decide to sell it I wouldn’t make much of a profit, not that I would sell it (OK, what’s your best offer).

No comments:

Post a Comment